Monday, 27 December 2010

Leather-Fabric Node Library Preview










I thought I'd get stuck into the a companion library for the metal surfaces....it's leather, no it's fabric. Heck, what ever they are they look cool...hehe

The good thing is that they render fast...6-11 minutes....more experiments to come :)

Metal Node Library Finished



Finally finished the metal node library, all I need to do is create the html and it should be ready...hopefully in a few days.

The rocket images are how the bottom three rows of surfaces look like on an object. They are two separate metal surfaces combined together with the Material Mixer node...first time I have used it......wonderful node with lots of possibilities :)

Sunday, 26 December 2010

Free HDR maps




I've been asked to supply the hdr maps used in my free scenes, so here is the Kitchen01.hdr map. If there are references to kuz03.hdr, kuz11.hdr and kuz23.hdr in any Lightwave scene, they are simply smaller versions of 03.hdr, 11.hdr and 23.hdr from the first HDR pack above.

Fellow deviant artist zbyg....has made some excellent hdr maps that everyone should have :)

Grab them here:

HDR pack1.....HDR pack2.....HDR pack3

Sunday, 19 December 2010

Node Surface Library Pack Preview



Here's a preview of my metal surface library, I have another batch to render and then it'll be available soon. Some of them are the same surfaces, because I named it after the object they were used in, so it should be easier to choose...more to come!



In the mean time, here's another free download, the above surface is included with the object for you LW users out there :)

Download the netsuke lw version or the netsuke obj version.

Connecting two different planes



What do you do when you want to connect a semicircle to a square?

You copy the semicircle into a new layer and convert it into a square/rectangle, then Bridge the two together :)

If you manually create a square and add points so it matches the number in your semicircle, it still might not work. I think the point order of both objects need to be the same to get the best result...in any case, it's always fun to try a different way of doing things.

Saturday, 18 December 2010

Creating seams in existing geometryV2



Here's a better technique of creating seams and a different way to resolve 3 point polygons, same tools used as last time :)

Friday, 17 December 2010

Creating seams in existing geometry




Just a simple tutorial on creating seams that make the object look like it's made up of multiple segments. Should be simple to follow, tools used are: Split tool, edge bevel, loop tool and extender plus, move plus and at the end, I used the JW_SplitRing to get rid of the triangles.

If you want to change the angle of the diagonal edge, you can experiment with changing the number of sides of the cylinder. But remember, the more acute the diagonal edge, the more difficult it might be to edge bevel later on....as always, experiment and have fun.

Note: For some reason, I wasn't able to split a group of polygons in one go and had to do it manually, but seems to work when I retired it later....funny thing Lightwave :)

Gecko Netsuke renders














It took awhile, but here are just some of the best results.....I love so experimenting with node surfaces :)

Tuesday, 14 December 2010

Gecko Netsuke Vimeo



Here's the video in all it's glory.....I still can't believe it ended up ok.

Enjoy the journey and the mistakes that were made along the way. The full renders should be up tomorrow or later...if I start tweaking the surfaces again :)

Gecko Netsuke




Netsuke...is this weeks speed modelling challenge topic....I hope to do another one, great topic. 80 minutes for the modelling, but I still can't believe it turned out this way :)

A render and video of the modelling session will be up soon...fun...fun!

Friday, 10 December 2010

Tuesday, 7 December 2010

Retro Rocket in Space






Added some additional details to the door and finished another fake backdrop/scene. I think I'll play around with a few more renders :)

Sunday, 5 December 2010

Friday, 3 December 2010

Wednesday, 1 December 2010

Steampunk Dream






Just playing around with a retro fake type scene for the Venus rocket :)

The first one is the original render with 3d stars and took 90 minutes to render....far too long. I then rendered just the background star field, and edited it in Photoshop to get a more graphic feel. The good thing is...the render time went back down to the 30 minute mark, but now Lightwave is having problems loading the scene.......Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!